A crown, sometimes known as dental cap, is a type of dental restoration that completely encircles a tooth and are used to functionally restore and enhance teeth that are heavily damaged or significantly missing healthy tooth structure. Crowns can also be used esthetically to dramatically improve the tooth's appearance, shape and alignment.
Crowns may be used to...
- Replace a large filling when there is little tooth structure remaining
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing
- Restore a fractured tooth
- Attach a bridge
- Cover a dental implant
- Cover a discolored or poorly-shaped tooth
- Cover a tooth that has had root canal treatment